The Selection #3: The One - Kiera Cass | Book Review



My rating: ★★★★ 1/2 stars

Warning! Quite BIG spoilers ahead!!

This book definitely leaves me swooning at the end with happiness. America and Maxon sure had a long way to go, and the journey of their relationship comes to a conclusion in this final instalment of The Selection series. 

I definitely love the way Kiera Cass manages to wrap up the entirety of this series. Overall, I love how this series has managed to strike an amazing balance between lighthearted romance and its political undertones. With the king posing even more of a threat for America in this book, the stakes have definitely been raised. 

I also really loved Aspen and America's resolution to their on-again and off-again relationhip. It was really sweet how both of them were able to make sense of their past relationship and move forward as family. The only thing that I found a bit strange was Aspen giving America away at her wedding. While I appreciate the sentiment, this is the same guy who tried to propose to America not just a few weeks ago to the event. To me, this seems a bit too weird, especially when America's mom felt like a much more natural and reasonable choice for the job. 

The One also features some quite dark and heavy moments in this book. Celine and America's father's death really struck me hard - both the first time reading it as well as this time around. Reading America's dad's final letter brought tears to my eyes. Also, it once again made me really sad to think that Celine is gone now from this series's universe. Although she was definitely a bitch for the most part, I absolutely love the mean-girl-to-friend trope, and wished we would have seen more of her after her redemptive arc. Although I am glad that Kiera Cass at least allowed for her redemption to happen before she died. 

Overall, I just really love The Selection series! It has been such a blast going through it again, rereading it for the fourth time or so. It definitely doesn't get old, and I'm sure I'll love the books for the years to come too. 

0 Comments