The Selection #2: The Elite - Kiera Cass | Book Review



My rating: ★★★★ 1/2 stars

Warning, spoilers ahead!

When I first started reading this book again, I was actually convinced that I was going to be slightly disappointed again. I distincly remember reading The Elite a few years back and thinking how stupid America must be. I think at the time, I felt slightly sick of the love triangle, and just wanted America to make a choice, for God's sake. However, this time round, I actually really liked The Elite and didn't mind America and her decisions. 

Her and Aspen weren't as lovey-dovey as I remembered them to be, which made me happy. I kept thinking that America was going to spend a lot of time cheating on Maxon, but her conflicting feelings were actually quite understandable and tame. It made complete sense that she developed a lack of trust in Maxon after what happened with Marlee or with Celeste. I think I would have probably felt similarly if I had been in her position.

Something else I appreciated was how this book picked up more of a political theme and had a lot more drama packed into it than the first one. I don't prefer The Elite over the The Selection, but I do still love it nevertheless. 

This book also further solidified my love for America and Maxon together, which is obviously a plus. My heart really broke in two when Maxon told America his secret about his abusive dad. It really made me want to smack that king's face. I don't entirely remember what happens in the concluding book, but I hope he gets what's coming for him! On the other hand, Queen Amberly is just a sweetheart. 

0 Comments