None of this is Serious by Catherine Prasifka




Rating: 2.5/5 stars

None of this is Serious by Catherine Prasifka follows a young woman named Sophie who, while navigating her early adulthood and romance, also has to deal with social media and an impending apocalypse in the form of a purple crack in the sky.

When I first got this book, I was actually unaware that there was any kind of apocalyptic stuff in it, and just thought this was going to be a bit of a fluffy romance novel about a girl meeting someone online. Boy, was I wrong.

First of all, Sophie was an almost unbearable protagonist. I know that that was probably intended by the author, but she was just god-awful. Almost every single page was filled with her constant whining about how ugly, fat or unlovable she is. It wasn't until - I kid you not - the very last two pages that Sophie showed any kind of character growth or arc. 

The thing that I did appreciate about this book was how it tried to tackle consent in sex and rape culture. The way with which Sophie was completely harassed online is sadly an accurate representation of the shitty stuff that women have to go through in misogynistic rape culture. I did appreciate how the author tackled the topic, although I wish that the topic of fatphobia would have also been dealt with a bit more. 

Overall, this book underwhelmed me greatly. It could have been executed in a more meaningful way, and the purple crack in the sky unfortunately didn't add much to the story except emphasize how dumb people on social media get. 

0 Comments