The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green

 


The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green contains many short reviews that he wrote about our anthropocene (human-centered) age on this Earth and let me tell you, I had such a blast reading this book! The reviews deal with so many differing topics, from Canadian Geese to the QWERTY keyboard. What I really loved most about this book is how I felt like I was able to connect with what John Green was writing about, no matter the theme of the current chapter I was on. The personal stories that he told about how he as a human related to each of these things always managed to strike a chord in my heart. And as I read the very last chapter, I actually had to physically stifle a sob that was trying to claw its way out of my chest. It's difficult to really dig deep into what I really loved about this collection of reviews without giving too much away, lest I take away from someone else's experience of reading this. But suffice to say, that I felt strangely connected both John Green and the entirety of mankind after I closed this book. Further, as a Christian, many of the themes also resonated with me. One of the biggest tensions in the Christian faith is that Earth and everything in it is both insanely beautiful and glorious, and also terrifying and uncaring. To me, these topics really mirror a strong theme of original beauty, fallenness and future redemption which also really spoke to me personally.

I give The Anthropocene Reviewed four and a half stars. 


0 Comments