Into the Mist by P.C. Cast


My Rating: 7/10

Into the Mist was a pretty solid novel that unfortunately just had a quite slow start. We get introduced to our group of protagonists who suddenly get caught in an apocalyptic situation where a green mist caused by a biological warfare attack on the US ends up killing most men and giving the women super powers. The premise of this book was really promising and did definitely have some exciting moments. However unfortunately, I did feel like it could have had a bit more action and drama and a bit less dialogue.

Just as a side-note/rant: I obviously also fully understand and completely agree that our current world is full of misogyny and so-called terrible Christian people who use their faith to harm others. However, I do feel as though (and this book is a great example) this book danced on the side of putting in a statistically-unlikely amount of bad people just to make a statement against sexism, racism or crazy religious folks. Like, sure there are definitely dangerous men and really terrible religious people and by all means. I’d love to see this explored in a book, especially a post-apocalyptic one! But I find it hard to believe that 99% of all men in a post-apocalyptic world would just want to capture and dominate everyone. But I understand that perhaps this opinion is caused by my more Euro-centric worldview on these issues because of where I live and so this is just a small side note from my part. Also, as a Christian myself, I sometimes have to cringe a tiny bit at the Christian representation in P.C.’s books. I understand that issues surrounding these topics have to be addressed, especially in literature. But my criticism lies in the fact that in these examples, these religious characters (e.g. Karen) end up practically throwing all their religious convictions out of the window in order to progress towards being more loving and tolerant. An example of this would be the way which Karen suddenly was ok with doing all kinds of stuff. For me personally, I’d love to experience the inclusion of a Christian character who does still stick to their religious convictions (e.g. not wanting to drink/smoke, believing that Jesus is the way to God) while evolving into being a better person within their own religious worldview. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but that’s how I feel. I feel like the Benedictine Nuns in the House of Night series were a pretty good example of how that could be done.

Overall, this book was entertaining although I wish that there would have been a bit more action. Almost all of the exciting plot-points happened in the second half of the novel and I think they could have been a bit more deeply explored throughout this whole book. I am definitely very excited for the second book!

0 Comments