I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson


 

My rating: 3.25 stars

Sadly, I'll Give You The Sun slightly disappointed me. The first half of the book really dragged on, and I found it incredibly difficult to get into the metaphorically-heavy descriptions. There were genuine times when the writing even confused me to the point where I thought that the very flowery language was actually, literally happening. Also, the chapters were incredibly long (one was even over 100 pages long, if I'm remembering correctly) which kind of added to the feeling of the book dragging on.

What I really loved about this book were the characters and how they each in the end approached their deep issues and found acceptance for themselves and towards their family. I found it incredibly interesting how there were two POVs that were set in two different times. I felt like it was interesting to piece together parts of the plot converging from two different times. Also, I loved the LGBT rep and appreciated the way the book approached the topic of sex amongst teenagers.

0 Comments