Verity by Colleen Hoover | REVIEW

My rating: 10/10

This book was just fucking amazing, truly. Filled to the brim with mystery and a palpable darkness that needed to be unraveled. It was honest to God unputdownable. And the suspense, oh God, this entire novel kept me on my toes from start to finish. In many ways more chilling than the most horror of all horrors, but with such depth that I just wanted to dive into and psychoanalyze. 


Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling author that gets offered a job to ghost-write the final three books of Verity Crawford's series, an author who cannot write anymore due to an accident she has been in. Throughout the course of the book, Lowen spends her time in Verity's house along with her husband, digging through her notes in order to begin writing the books when she stumbles across Verity's unpublished autobiography. This autobiography begins to reveal some incredibly deep and disturbing facts about Verity and her husband's life. 

The format of this book was also incredibly unique, being both a mixture of excerpts from Verity's autbiograhy, as well as chapters dealing with Lowen's present life. The autobiographical chapters were definitely the ones that I was most fascinated with (while being totally disgusted simultaneously) and I almost had to physically restrain myself from reading the other chapters too quickly to get the Verity's ones again. However, I'm glad that I paced myself, becaues overall, Verity was incredibly suspenseful, from beginning to end. Even from the very first pages, Verity and Jeremy's dark past is foreshadowed and woven into the fabric of the story. 

The ending of the book just completely blew my mind. I still don't truly understand who the true villains of this story were. I know for a fact that this book will probably remain in my mind for decades to come. Even now, after having read it all, there is still so much to puzzle out, so many hidden details to find in the nooks of the plot. What an absolute mindfuck, and I loved every minute of it. I now look forward to spending absolute hours scourging the internet for discussion forums and talking to my friends about it. 

0 Comments