Midnight Law by Geanna Culbertson was AMAZING (*spoilers*) | book review

Plot: 9.5/10

Characters: 10/10

Entertainment Factor: 10/10

Writing: 9/10

Overall Rating: 9.75/10

Warning! There are SPOILERS. 

When I started reading this, I didn't actually yet realize that Midnight Law was not going to feature the POV of Crisanta, the main heroine in this series. After getting to about the fifth chapter, I flipped through the rest of the pages to see if Crisanta's name ever came up anywhere and I was slightly disappointed to see that it didn't. From the first book, she had become one of my favorite book characters of all time, which is why I was at first a bit sad that I wasn't going to be reading her thoughts at all in this eighth book. However, now that I've finished the book,  I can honestly sit back and say that there wouldn't have been a more perfect way to tell the story than through the POV of the amazing cast in this book. As I read, I began to fall more and more deeply in love with SJ, Blue, Jason, and Daniel as characters. It was really awesome getting to know them more intimately than we had before and all of their character development was just *chef's kiss*. My only complaint would be that it wasn't always easy to tell their narrations apart. But to me, that is honestly only a minor issue since I felt like their growth and personality was shown and was visible in other ways. 

Further, I loved that we got see more of Mauvrey and Girtha as well, as well as a vast other people, such as Yunru, Lonna, Humilde, and more. In particular, I loved finally getting to know Mauvrey. She really stood out as an incredibly amazing and strong character and I'm really very excited to see where her story will take her, now that she'll have the freedom to grow into her own self. 

Although I'm really not that surprised at Kai's betrayal, it still kind of hurt me to see it play out. While reading Midnight Law, the way I felt about her constantly changed from one chapter to the next. While she was acting like a complete and utter bitch about Crisa and Daniel's other friends, I did honestly sympathize with her at times. It must have been hard for her to see Daniel suddenly go off and accept the Midnight Law without even consulting her even though he could have died. My feelings about her were always on an up and down. However, I could never really shake the suspicious way she had been acting and I did mentally predict that she probably would end up being evil. When Mauvrey revealed what she knew about Kai, I literally jumped up and shouted "HA! I knew it!". And while I really dislike her as a character (she was just a really nasty person! eesh), I love that she is written to be a complex villain with a myriad of human reasons for why she did what she did. I do believe she honestly cares for Daniel, which is what makes the whole thing just majorly tragic. 

Speaking of relationships, it was really great finally seeing Blue and Jason get together! Seeing the way Blue was tiptoeing around Jason in the first chapters was quite painful to read. I understood her reasoning for not wanting to be with him, and I admired her willingness to not just be defined by her romantic relationships. But it was so sad seeing her be so rude to Jason, as well as just generally deny her feelings. I loved the way that Jason eventually stood up to her, and his speech about respect and equality involving honesty and not just letting someone get away with stupidity was great. I wish them nothing but the best for the future. 

There are probably a dozen more awesome things about this book and series in general that I could address but I think it suffices to say that I absolutely loved Midnight Law and am on the edge of my seat for the final book. I feel a bit like a hiker who just went on a really long and rewarding trail up a steep hill, who is just about the reach the top and final part of the hike. There is a sense of happiness and elation at finally getting to the top and seeing the view and enjoying the walking that has passed. But there is also a slight tinge of sadness that this journey will soon be over. For five years I have loved every bit of this series. It has also accompanied me through my early adulthood (ages 20 - 25), throughout which I, just like the fairytale heroines, had my own maturing to do. I'll be really sad when it will be over, but I'm also majorly happy to see how it all ends. And the good thing is that these books will always be on my shelf, ready to be reread at any moment. 

0 Comments