Imagine Me (Shatter Me #6) by Tahereh Mafi was boring af | REVIEW

Plot: 3/10

Characters: 4/10

Entertainment Factor: 4/10 

Writing: 7/10 

Overall rating: 4.5/10 

Ok so, the good news is that I finally got round to reading and finishing the second half of this series. The bad news is that this final book kind of sucked. In fact, Imagine Me was boring af. Writing those words honestly hurts me because Restore Me was actually really good! This second trilogy had so much fucking potential and then just decided to crash hard. 

First off, Juliette/Ella was barely a character in this book. Sure, her POV is thrown in there periodically between Kenji and Warner's. But most of all, it's just her being unconscious or half-delirious. The strong, kickass woman from the previous five books was seemingly GONE. Poof. Now I understand that her having to be a mindless robot-like person was part of the plot. However, there was no internal struggle, no reason for her POV at all. There was barely any information passed along to the reader whenever we were in her mind and served more just as a way to pacify us from being sad that Juliette/Ella wasn't in the spotlight. 

Secondly, the plot was really boring. I know that sounds incredibly harsh, and things did happen. But I just felt incredibly underwhelmed by pretty much anything that happened, whether it was the dialogue or the fights. There was nothing that kept me in suspense, no climax that made hold my breath, not even a teeny tiny bit. 

The one thing that redeems this book to any extend is Tahereh's writing. It's incredibly beautiful and poetic and I love the way it really makes you feel what the characters are experiencing. There is such a sense of beauty in the way she describes the heartache and love. 

Emmeline and her story was so fucking tragic. I think that was the only part of the plot at the end that I actually cared for. She deserved so much better than what she got. 

Overall, I thought this series was alright, but the second trilogy had a great start with a meh ending. I don't regret reading them, but I'm not convinced that I will ever be rereading them, however sad that makes me. 

 

0 Comments