Beasts and Beauty by Soman Chainani Gives Readers Revamped Fairytales

Overall rating: 8.5/10

Beasts and Beauty was an incredibly awesome set of fairytale retellings, most with some type of subversion to the original fairytales plots. What I really liked about the stories in particular was that there was an interesting focus on beauty and being a beast (as the title already alludes to!) and what that really means. The representation in the stories was also really phenomenal, with some of the original fairytales including a wider variety of cultures and sexualities. Overall, a really excellent read and I can’t wait for Soman to bring out another set of fairytales!

Individual ratings

Little Red Rising Hood: 8/10

The ending actually really got to me in this first story and filled my heart with a lot of warmth. I generally also just really loved the subversive elements of this fairytale (e.g. the girls being “sacrificed” to the wolves, the wolf and grandmother’s roles in the cottage etc.). It was quite a short story though, and I wished it would have been a tad longer.

Snow White: 7/10

The only reason why I’m giving this only seven stars and not more is more to do with the fact that the overall plot of this book was just very similar to the original Snow White fairytale. Don’t get me wrong, I really loved how Snow White was a woman of a color who struggle with heavy racism throughout her life and how in the end she found solace and sanctuary amongst the dwarves. The overall plot however wasn’t that different and the ending just left me feeling a tad meh. Still an all-around good story though, and the illustrations in this story were gorgeous.

Sleeping Beauty: 5/10

This short story was just incredibly confusing to me, if I’m honest. I don’t really understand half of what happened. I understand that the prince had some sort of relationship with a type of monster, but because we barely got any details, it was just kind of freaky to imagine how he got the scratches. Would have liked some more details. And the hand thing was just a bit too much for me.

Rapunzel: 9/10

I really, really liked this short story. It was kind of strange, especially the relationship between Rapunzel and her “father”. However, the story was still kind of badass and really subverted the idea that a girl locked up in a tower would fall head over heels for just anyone. Rapunzel was a genuine badass.

Jack and the Beanstalk: 8/10

This was an interesting story, and was actually quite sweet at the end. What I liked (if I understood the story correctly) was how the land of the giants mirrored Jack’s inner thoughts about his family. I was overall really pleased with the ending and thought it was really sweet.

Hansel and Gretel: 9.5/10

I absolutely adored this story! It was so original and I absolutely loved the desi representation. It was so sweet to see the love between the children and their mother. Now I really would love to try one of those sweets!

Beauty and the Beast: 8.5/10

This story was incredibly heartbreaking at the end, and yet really beautiful and teaches a valuable lesson of being careful when looking but not seeing. Although the core elements of the typical Beauty and the Beast fairytale were intact, I still felt like the story had a lot more depth to it than the story we all know. Mei and her own dreams were actually quite fleshed out, and she was a more flawed character than Belle. Overall a great story, with a rather tragic ending.  

Bluebeard: 8/10

I have to admit, I don’t actually know the original Bluebeard fairytale, so I can’t really compare that version to Soman’s. However, I did like this story and how it really focused on the love that Pietro had for the other orphaned boys.

Cinderella: 9/10

This fairytale was actually completely different from the original one. In this, the mouse who befriends Cinderella is actually the Prince’s long-lost love, Magdalena who was cursed to be a mouse by a witch who stole the Prince. The story is about the mouse taking Cinderella to the ball so she can tell the Prince that she is still alive. I really loved this story, and that in the end, it was more about friendship and love than about romance (or a romance between two girls, depending on how you interpret it!).

The Little Mermaid: 7/10

This wasn’t really a story at all, but rather a conversation between the little mermaid (Arielle I guess?) and the “evil” witch. It was quite interesting, since the witch illuminates the fact that the story could easily be read the other way around (with the little mermaid as the “witch”) and that the true love of fairytales is usually shallow and pushes the heroine to only be submissive. An overall interesting conversation, but I wish it would have been an actual story, and not just eight pages of dialogue.

Rumpelstiltskin: 8/10

I did really enjoy this short story, though the one thing that was kind of disappointing was that the story was almost exactly the same as the original fairytale. No extra twists or some kind of plot subversion. However, it was still really well written (as is all of Soman’s work!) and so I did really enjoy reading it.

Peter Pan: 8.5/10

Wow this story was incredibly heartbreaking, oh my word! I honestly wasn’t expecting that ending, but it was still incredibly beautiful. It was also nice that the story began after the original Peter pan story ended, and that it wasn’t just a regular retelling, if that makes sense.  

0 Comments