Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi


5.5/10

Warning, spoilers ahead!

This book was quite entertaining, but I do feel like so many aspects of it were incredibly unrealistic. For starters, Juliette is 17 years old. She’s still a fucking child, for God’s sake. And not she suddenly decides that she actually wants to be the leader of the nation and Castle actually ends up agreeing with her? I do believe that she has a lot of potential to rise up and be a great leader eventually, but she is still so immature and has so much growth to do before that is even remotely realistic. The ending also climaxed and then came to an end super quickly. Wam, bam and the supreme leader was suddenly dead. It just felt very rushed and very unrealistic. Also, there was the whole fact of Omega Point being completely demolished but – surprise! – all of the main characters have made it out alive. That was just overall super cheesy.  

That notwithstanding, Warner and Juliette did have a lot of good chemistry together, and I’m actually quite happy that she ended up with him rather than with Adam. It has become a very popular, overused trope in YA literature that the first boy that the female protagonist falls in love with will forever be her true love. I actually found it to be refreshing and forward-thinking for her to realize that her feelings towards Adam were actually mostly fueled by lust and not an actual love for him. However, Adam suddenly doing a 180 degree turn in terms of his personality and turning into the biggest douchebag known to mankind was a bit of a cop-out in ending this love triangle.

I’m quite intrigued as to how Tahereh has continued this series, since this was originally just a trilogy. I genuinely hope that some of the aforementioned plot holes and needs for character development will happen. But I still stand by what I wrote in my previous review, which is that Kenji is the best part of this series and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.

0 Comments