Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


My rating: 7/10

Having read this book for the first time about ten years ago in my mid-teens, I actually wasn’t expecting to really like it so much this time around. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Was this book amazing? No. But I did actually really love Tahereh Mafi’s prose. Although I felt like sometimes, the metaphors were a bit too exaggerated (e.g. waiting for a million years), it was quite poetic.

Adam and Juliette’s love relationship was a teeny tiny bit over the top for me. I feel slightly conflicted, because on the one hand, it is really an insta-love in some way. However, on the other hand, they did know each other when they were young and connected through that. I think if we had gotten to see more flashback scenes, then I think their relationship wouldn’t have felt as forced. I really don’t get how people however can ever ship Juliette with Warner. He’s incredibly disgusting, possessive, and actually assaulted Juliette through kissing her at the end of the book. He’s so damn gross and I honestly feel like that ship is incredibly toxic, at least considering how things were left at the end of this first book.

I don’t really remember the plot of books 2 and 3, so I’m actually quite intrigued again as to how things will not go down at Omega Point. It was really quite nice to see Juliet begin to accept her powers at the end and realize that she is not just a monster. 

0 Comments