Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem #1) by P.C. & Kristin Cast


My rating: 8/10 stars

Spells Trouble was a relatively slow-paced book overall, but I did really enjoy the setup and characters. Hunter and Mercy Goode are witch twins who have been tasked with the duty of protecting and keeping the five Underworld gates in Goodeville, their hometown. This all goes awry after their mother is murdered, and the novel centers around them having to use their power to stop mythological monsters from entering Goodeville and close the gates.

Hunter and Mercy, despite being genetically identical, have two completely different sets of personalities, which are both expressed through differing strengths, weaknesses and struggles over the course of the book. Hunter struggles with her self-image, having been bullied for her sexuality for a long time. She is the more independent, headstrong one of the two but suffers from a certain sensitivity in social situations. Mercy, on the other hand is self-assured and popular, but slightly co-dependent and gullible at times. They both however need each other deeply and help each other out in their struggles, which I thought was really sweet to see. I really felt for both Mercy and Hunter in this book, in particular Mercy. The way her and Kirk’s relationship developed really made me want to punch something, and I hope that both girls will have time to heal their hearts in the future.  

One of my favorite characters was definitely Xena though. She was a surprising additional character who I honestly didn’t expect to see pop up, and I hope that we get to see more of her tagging along with the girls in the next book.

The magic in this series was probably my favorite aspect, and definitely reminded me of why I love the Casts House of Night series so much. I definitely wish there would have been a tad more witchy magic in action, and hope that in the second book that will be the case.

Further, I do feel as though the lore surrounding the Underworld gates could have been explored a bit more, but I do understand that both Mercy and Hunter personally don’t really know much about it themselves, since their mother was the one responsible for them. We as readers are essentially getting to know the backstory and lore about them alongside the protagonists. I do hope we see some of the lore expanded a bit in the second book, and that some more action will result from that.

0 Comments