Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

 




Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★   / 5 stars

As I'm sitting here writing this review, I've actually already read the first three books in the Throne of Glass series. I've also enjoyed all three of them quite thoroughly. However, I decided it was time for me to finally sit down, and read all of them after each other (maybe with a few books interspacing them here and there), so that I could finally savor the experience of this series in its full glory. I absolutely loved the Court of Thorns and Roses series and I never quite found myself feeling that same rush with Throne of Glass. When I was reading Throne of Glass and the other two books, I'd always left a lot of time in between them, so that I eventually forgot major plot points and kind of found myself losing track of character backstories and lore. Therefore, I am now going to start over. 


And let me tell you...I absolutely adored this book this time around! The writing, considering that this is only a first book in a series is already phenomenal and gripping. Celaena is a very intriguing main character, and I'm excited to learn more about her back story (since I've already forgotten most of what happens in the coming books). 


The lore in this series is really well laid-out as well. Already in this first book, I feel like the immensity of this world is already felt. The magic that is being held back by the King of Adarlan already feels so tangible and waiting to come bursting forth. Furthermore, the characters feel really deep and complex. Dorian and Chaol are both really struggling in their given roles, but in separate ways. Celaena is clearly traumatized by what has happened to her in the past, and yet she still has this spark of joy that is unwilling to give up. Chaol, having now finally killed a man for the first time, is also going to undergo a massive transformation, which we will hopefully see unfold in the coming books. Nehemia is mourning for her country and the rebels. 


My favorite things about this first book were definitely first of all the friendship that blossomed between Nehemia and Celaena. I loved all of their interactions and the way they supported each other and the secret rebellion against Adarlan that binds them together too. And also, I found Celaena and Dorian's friendship and relationship really cute. The way he gifrs her that puppy was just beyond adorable in my opinion. 

0 Comments