The Emerald Sea by Richelle Mead

I really really enjoyed The Emerald Sea! In fact, I would say that this was probably my favorite book of the whole Glittering Court trilogy. Tamsin was such a fierce, strong, independent woman and it was incredibly empowering to read about her journey - going from a woman who was wholly dependent on a future husband to surviving brutal conditions and making her own future.

Although I greatly enjoyed this book, I do have to say that I think that Tamsin and Jago were probably my least favorite pairing of the series. I think Adelaide and Cedric just hold a special place in my heart in this trilogy and there just wasn't that air of *forbidden romance* with Tamsin and Jago that I just love so much from Richelle Mead's novels.

Being a Christian myself, I especially enjoyed reading all of the chapters when Tamsin was with the Heirs. The hypocrisy and judgmental mentality which the Heirs emanated and just how disgusting their religion made them really struck into my heart. While I wholeheartedly believe that many Christians and churches have abused the faith and made the fellowship and faith we are provided with into a religious institution just like the Heirs, I know in my heart that Jesus wanted to free us from precisely that kind of mentality. And so while Gideon definitely had his flaws in this book, his message of love, peace and pure faith really resonated with me and perfectly mirrored the kind of freedom we are given in Christ.

Other than that, I also loved seeing all the of the three storylines finally coming together, although I would have wished to have seen a bit more of an overlap. Also, I was surprised by how far into the Glittering Court plot this book started. I know that the reason this probably was done was to hide the *real reason* why Tamsin was super competitive, but I would have loved to have seen her life before the Glittering Court and see her journey with Merry. Novella, perhaps? 

I definitely also can't wait to see what Richelle Mead is working on right now. I reaaaally hope it's going to be a Bloodlines sequel because I really need more of the Vampire Academy world.




0 Comments