Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


My rating: 6/10 stars

So I decided to give the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout another try, since I’d already actually read the first two books in the series but then stopped. I enjoyed Obsidian a lot more this time around than the first time, although I will say that I don’t entirely remember the first time I read it that much.

You can definitely tell that this is a YA book, and it carries quite a few tropes with it that kind of annoy me now that I’m a bit older. I will first start with the negative things that I didn’t like so much and then talk about the stuff that I did like.

First off, the writing itself isn’t really particularly spectacular. It acts as a vehicle for the story and doesn’t really do anything much or add any value beyond that, unfortunately. Obsidian also very eerily mirrors Twilight in a variety of ways. We have a female YA protagonist who has just moved to a small town from Florida with a single parent. She then proceeds to meet a very strange family that appears to carry a mysterious secret and finds out that they have supernatural powers. The sexy non-human male potential love interest then proceeds to save her on numerous occasions, always lying about his powers (“you must have been imagining things”) which confuses her. She then eventually learns the truth and then must remain under protection of this strange supernatural family because the enemies of their kind are after her. In the end, she then decides to do something rather stupid (although I will say that Bella was a lot more stupid than Katy) in order to protect these people whom she now loves. Dee is a very obvious Alice. Daemon is none other than Edward, although a douchebag-version of him. And Ash is Rosalie.

Katy isn’t really a Bella, though, which I appreciate. She is actually a quite well-likeable protagonist. I especially loved that she (like me) is bother a blogger and YouTuber who talks about books. She isn’t an entirely helpless character and – considering the circumstances of the Arum/Luxen war – is actually not bad at protecting herself.  

There were also a few other typical teen supernatural YA book tropes that are kind of getting a bit old. In no particular order, these are:

·       The “you’re not like the other humans” trope

·       The protagonist girl is getting sexually harassed, and borderline raped and then the swoony hot YA male love interest comes to save her

·       The “You’re a special/interesting girl because you love comic books and other un-typically girly things” trope

·       The “I used to be a perfect 4.0 GPA student” trope

·       The complaining about how curvy one is trope

Also, am I the only one who is getting very confused by the sheer amount of suspicious conversations that supernatural people in YA books have around the protagonist, wanting to hide their secret from them and thinking that they are being inconspicuous (“I told you we should have left her at home, she’s a liability!”). And then they act shocked when said protagonist figures out that they are hiding a mysterious secret. I’m also equally flabbergasted at the fact that Katy and other YA protagonists usually are very dumb and don’t realize that they are being talked about until much later. 

But onto the good stuff. I did really like Katy as a character. And I also really loved her relationship with Dee. Furthermore, the lore around the Luxen/Arum seems quite interesting. I’m definitely intrigued by how that will develop in the later books.

I will say that I really didn’t like Daemon in this book (yet). At the beginning, he really was a huge asshole towards her, which really bugged me, especially because she still constantly talked about his looks (it’s like we get it, he’s hot!). Later on in the book, when it began rather clear that the way he acts towards her is quite obviously just an act, I did think they were a bit cute together, and I could feel the shipping well up inside of me. But he definitely has a a lot of changes to go through until he is love-interest worthy for me. I was really glad that they didn’t end up together at the end, which is quite unlike YA novels. I really loved that Katy stood up for herself and basically outed his hot/cold act. Props to her.

0 Comments