The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

 


Rating: 8/10

I really enjoyed reading The Assassin’s Blade although it is definitely my least favorite book in this series so far. Celaena’s character is something that is really explored in depth in these short stories, as well as her relationship to both Sam and Arobynn, and I really enjoyed reading about all of those things.

One can really see her care for the slaves and the oppressed in these short stories, which plays a big role in the other subsequent books and her general mission. I also wonder whether we will see some characters again in any future books, such as Yrene and Ansel. Their backstories and their short interactions with Celaena were definitely interesting, and I would definitely be excited to see them pop up again in the future.

The most heartbreaking part of these stories was definitely her short-lived romance with Sam. The two of them were incredibly sweet and gentle with one another, and it really broke my heart to read about what happened to him, despite already knowing about it before I began this book. All of these stories really build up to become what essentially becomes the foundation of motivation for Celaena’s behavior in the later books, and I think I really understand her character a lot better now than I did earlier.

Reading this before I dive into Queen of Shadows, I can definitely see that this book will really make her inevitable encounter with Arobynn that much more emotional, and I really hope it doesn’t end as bad as her encounter with him have ended in this book. He is definitely an incredibly shady and manipulative character in this book, and I wonder what kind of part he will play as the rest of the series progresses. I kind of feel like there might be something redeemable about him, but I’m also not sure.

0 Comments