Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

 


Wow. Even after reading this book the second time around, I am still in awe of the foreshadowing and the reveals that I just did not see coming the first time reading it (obviously this time, I knew what the big reveal at the end would be). Sarah J. Maas is just a phenomenal storyteller and writer, no doubt about it. 

Nehemia's death still really affected me. Her friendship with Celaena was probably the best and purest friendship out of all of the relationships in this series. She was such a meaningful character who brought out the best qualities in Celaena. She was also willing to die fighting for the freedom of her people and honestly just didn't not deserve to die so early on in the series. I hope that we might get to see her again in whatever form that may be.

The ending of this book definitely raises the stakes of the entire series and from the next book onwards, we can definitely see that the world will be expand upon for us readers. With Celaena going off to Wendlyn, she is going to a new region of this world, filled with more characters, more powers to discover with a new mission And with the reveal of her heritage and powers, this all definitely will definitely add a a new level of seriousness and depth to the coming books. 

Chaol and Celaena were definitely very cute and swoony together, and it does slightly break my heart to know that their relationship will probably never be restored again to what it was. The two of them really did share a deep connection, physically, as well as emotionally. They related to one another in ways that Celaena and Dorian never could (although I will say that I'm probably a bit more of a Celaena x Dorian shipper...sorry!) due to their trauma and hope. Also, Dorian deciding to look after Fleetfoot while Celaena is gone is just too cute for words. I kinda hope the two of them get back together sometime...idk is that just me? But for now, their friendship is also very sweet and necessary. 

Dorian discovering that he has magic was probably one of my all-time favorite things in this book. I've always really liked him as a character, and it was nice to see him get some screen-time without him only being seen mainly as Celaena's love interest. I hope that we will see him settle into these powers and learn more about them in the future. I am quite terrified for him, though. I'm pretty sure his daddy will not be pleased if he ever finds out about this and I hope he never does. 

Also, my speculation is that probably Kaltain was the monster that Celaena had to kill down in the dungeons. She describes the monster as having almost human-like eyes and that it looked grateful for being killed. Also, the King and Duke Perrington often spoke about Kaltain as if they were about to transform her into a monster under their power. This makes me wonder whether maybe it was her, but who knows? 

My only complaint about this book is that the mystery of the Wyrdkeys was slightly predictable. I pretty much guessed right away after reading the long riddle that the first key was going to be on Elena's crown. Although I do really love the lore of the magic and power of the Wyrd and also hope that it will be expanded upon in the coming books. 

Overall, I'm really enjoying this series a lot more this time around, and I am incredibly invested in Celaena's journey. Damn, I hope she will eventually be able to rip the crown off of the King's head and reclaim her title and rule (alongside Dorian??) as the badass she is. 

0 Comments