The Key To Fear by Kristin Cast

 



Overall Rating: 3.25/5

Overall, I did enjoy The Key To Fear. The world-building was definitely the most interesting aspect of it. For example, I loved reading about how this futuristic city has made use of new technologies to ward off the impending virus, Cerebus, and keep people apart. I did also feel like the characters were pretty well fleshed-out, but I still think they could have benefitted from a bit more depth to their personas and motives.  

I definitely did not see the two major plot twists come at the end of the book. They really shocked me, and I’m intrigued to see how they will play out in the next book. I will say though, that I think the thing that annoyed me the most was how dumb Elodie and Adrian were when they were caught doing what they should not have been doing. I totally understand why it happened, and I was definitely rooting for the two of them as a couple. But like, seriously?! Couldn’t they have just stopped making out before the train came out of the dark tunnel, so as not to get caught? Haha.

In lieu of the currently pandemic going on, I also definitely think that The Key To Fear hit a bit harder in a personal manner than if we weren’t all experiencing a pandemic. Some of the regulations Elodie mentions, the social distancing, the general disgust at being a bit closer to any human being, is definitely something that I also see reflected in our current society, although obviously not to such an extreme extent. The socio-economic ideas presented in this book are definitely something to mull over.

I hope that in the next book(s), we will learn more about Cerebus as a virus, the history on how the Key rose to power, as well as more information on Normandy and his creepy medical experiments.

0 Comments