The Betrothed by Kiera Cass




My Rating: ★ ★ 1/4

Trigger warning for this book: mention of miscarriage

When I heard that Kiera Cass was releasing another romance book, I was incredibly ecstatic over the news and over the moon. As The Selection is one of my all-time favorite series, and I also really enjoyed The Siren, I honestly couldn’t imagine that whatever she was going to release into the world would ever disappoint me. Sadly, I was proven wrong on that front.
The Betrothed is not an entirely terrible book nor do I hate it. It’s okay. But unfortunately, that’s basically as far as my positive thoughts on this book reach (with a couple of exceptions). This book was just that – okay, and nothing more.
The setup of The Betrothed is actually something that I feel incredibly drawn to read about: a royal court, some steamy (forbidden) romance and some political conflict added into the mix (which is what made The Selection so addictive). What more can a girl want? Sadly, nothing about the characters, the plot nor any of the conflict that took place in The Betrothed gripped my interest. In fact, I felt quite bored reading this book. Granted, there was a royal court and some drama here and there; but there was minimal to no steamy romance, and the political conflict also fell flat and didn’t feel threatening up until the very last portion of the book.  
Our main character, Hollis Brite, is a Lady who lives with her parents in the royal court in Coroa (its similarity in name to Corona is wildly ironic, in my opinion). She has been flirting with King Jameson, who is allegedly looking for a new wife and she seems to be the one he has his eye on. However, as the plot unfolds, she finds herself drawn to another man and is left in an unfortunately complicated situation. While this plot sounds like it should be chock-full of stolen kisses, steamy sex/kissing scenes, a lot of emotional and romantic drama and a powerful lead, it really wasn’t any of those things. There were a couple of kisses here and there, a lot of internal conflict Hollis went through and virtually zero chemistry between the characters. Hollis herself was also an incredibly bland character. She wasn’t really bad, but she also didn’t really have any qualities that made her a worthwhile protagonist. In comparison to America (from The Selection), she felt uninspiring, flat, two-dimensional and didn’t have much of a strong personality or opinion. On a positive note, she does end up having a tiny bit of character growth when she eventually realizes that her relationship with Jameson was quite one-sided and manipulative, but I don’t think this was developed in a realistic way.
More than that, the relationship between two of our main characters, Hollis and Delia Grace, was just atrocious. Even when you take into consideration some of the scheming and backstabbing that might go on in these kinds of royal courts, Delia Grace really didn’t seem to care for Hollis. While I think that Hollis also didn’t really do her best in the friendship department with her, Delia Grace outright ended up being a manipulative bitch and generally uncaring when it came to Hollis. It became clear that when given the choice between Hollis’ wellbeing and happiness and her own reputation and elevation in the court, she would choose the latter. While this is understandable to a certain extent considering her background and her family’s reputation, this still doesn’t excuse her behavior or make her any less of a bitch in my opinion.
The thing that kind of saved this book for me is the relationship that began to blossom between Hollis and Queen Valentina. Valentina seemed like a much more nuanced character and I loved all of the scenes where Hollis and Valentina interacted with one another. Kiera Cass, in case you might be reading this, if you would ever end up making a spin-off series with Queen Valentine as the main protagonist, or even want to write the second book from her POV, I’d totally be down for that. She was a great character that honestly deserves the best in her life. I genuinely hope her ending will be happy.

The romance between Hollis and Silas just also did not feel like it evolved in a natural or convincing way. One chapter Hollis is basically fawning over Jameson and how she’ll be queen, and the next she suddenly wants nothing to do with getting a crown and is kissing Silas? I really just don’t see that happening. I definitely believe that Hollis and Silas would have made for a great couple, but unfortunately their relationship just wasn’t really developed in a that it deserved to be and as a consequence they lacked any sort of chemistry.

The plot did end up picking up towards the end of the book, but the ending unfortunately felt incredibly rushed. There was also a rather big plot twist that took place within the very last chapters of this novel which I don’t believe added anything to the story besides some sort of shock value. Now, I’m not saying that that is why Kiera Cass wrote this ending or this plot twist. For all I know – and I believe her to be a good writer and so I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt – she had good reasons for adding in this plot point and felt like it would tug the heartstrings of the reader since she believed it to be of emotional value. Unfortunately, if these thoughts of an author are not accurately or properly transferred into their writing, a reader is left to guess at the significance of a scene or a plot point and only have the work to judge. And unfortunately, I don’t believe that the plot and ending of this book felt well thought out or meaningful as a reader.

I will be picking up the second book in the series. As for my hopes for this series, I would love to see Hollis either travelling to meeting people from the other areas of this world that are presented on the map at the front of this book. As for what will happen or be revealed in the next book, (SPOILER WARNING) I’m genuinely convinced that Silas was not killed in the attack. For some reason, I also kind of feel like Hollis will end up with Jameson. Anyone else feel like this? 

There are also a couple of hints here and there that in my opinion lead me to believe that perhaps Hollis herself is an illegitimate child of her mother, since she is often described as having hair that is blonder than normal and having an appearance that is similar to that of an Isolten. Maybe that is a far-reaching speculation, who knows? But it would definitely add some flavor to this series that this book did not exactly bring to the table.  

0 Comments