Percy Jackson and the Olympians - The Lightning Thief



My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

So the beloved Percy Jackson has officially been announced as being in the works as a tv series adaptation for Disney Plus (yay!). In light of this news, I have decided to reread the first two books of the Percy Jackson series (as I’ve already read them) and then continue with the next books in the series which I haven’t read yet.

I greatly enjoyed rereading The Lightning Thief for the second time. Greek Mythology is always something that has always interested me, and I absolutely love reading about gods and demigods (despite the fact that I obviously don’t believe in any of that).

Likes:
  • Mythology
  • Annabeth
  • Relationship between the characters
  • Sally selling Gabe’s statue in the end

Dislikes:
  • Percy’s slightly underexaggerated reaction at his mother being mauled to death by a Minotaur.


Speculation for the following books:
I’m still not entirely convinced that Percy seeing those three old Crones cutting the thread won’t have an impact in the future. I mean, the cutting of the thread implies death, or somebody dying, right? And no one really died in this book (besides Percy’s mom who didn’t really “die” in the end), so does this mean that someone else will die in the next books? Also, the book early on talks about Sally Jackson’s parents having died in a plane crash when she was young. Could this plane crash possibly have something to do with Zeus?

Favorite Quotes:
“There was a line of toilets on one side and a line of shower stalls down the other. It smelled just like any public bathroom, and I was thinking – as much as I could think with Clarisse ripping my hair out – that if this place belonged to the gods, they should’ve been able to afford classier johns.”

“Poseidon,' said Chiron. 'Earthshaker, Stormbringer, Father of Horses. Hail, Perseus Jackson, Son of the Sea God.”

“Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and you could just see the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him, even though he only knew two songs: Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 12 and Hilary Duff's "So Yesterday," both of which sounded pretty bad on reed pipes.”

“In a way, it's nice to know that there are Greek gods out there, because you have somebody to blame when things go wrong. For instance, when you're walking away from a bus that's just been attacked by monster hags and blown up by lightning, and it's raining on top of everything else, most people might think that's just really bad luck; when you're a half-blood, you understand that some devine force is really trying to mess up your day.”

“The neon sign above the gate was impossible for me to read, because if there’s anything worse for my dyslexia than regular English, it’s red cursive neon English.”

“Hey!” Grover interrupted “You two are giving me a migraine, and satyrs don’t even get migraines.”

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”

“Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.”

“How did you die?""We er....drowned in a bathtub.""All three of you?""It was a big bathtub.”


0 Comments