The Lion and the Bride by Mika Sakurano


My Rating: ★ ★ 1/2 stars

The premise of this manga is probably by far the weirdest plot of any manga I have ever read. Are you ready for it? A young teenage girl marries her high school teacher in secret and then she finds out the most popular kid in school is his son from a previous marriage. Oh, and the manga is definitely hinting at a future relationship between this teenage girl and her step son! What. Even?!

I do have to admit that I did get sucked into the story for just a tiny while. It was interesting, but the plot is a tiny bit messed up. And as much as I love mangas, I'm starting to get really sick and tired of how anti-sex characters in mangas are. Weird relationship aside, unless someone has a legitimate reason for not wanting to be intimate with someone (e.g. being asexual), not wanting to be romantic with your own husband is not normal!

The artwork of the manga is gorgeous though, which is what the two stars are mainly for to be honest. And all in all, the chapters of this manga are totally fine and pretty entertaining. But I can't really get over the fact that there seems to be an affair brewing between Yua and her step-son. No, thank you.

Yua was a really great main character though. I really loved just how confident she was, but also that she seemed to be really sweet, kind and soft on the inside. I also loved how she stood up for her best friend and didn't let anyone treat her badly.

All in all, ignoring the weird relationships going on, this manga was thoroughly enjoyable and it definitely has a good entertainment factor. The story was actually pretty solid and I found myself genuinely concerned for Yua during the manga. I'm not even that opposed to a teacher-student relationship, if done respectfully and treated well. However, I do just think it's weird that Yua and Sabaru seem to be falling for one another. Forbidden love? Yes, I'm here for it! Cheating on your husband with his son? No thank you.

0 Comments