Tales of a New World #2: Sun Warrior - P.C. Cast

Sun Warrior


Goodreads Link

Author: P.C. Cast 

Length: 608 pages

"The battle lines have been drawn and Mari, an Earth Walker and Nik, a Companion, who were once from rival clans now find themselves fighting to save each other and their people from destruction.

Thaddeus betrayed his own people, killing Nik’s father and destroying their entire clan. But he wants more. He wants the power he believes Mari has stolen from him and his people and he will do anything he must to get them back, even if it means destroying everything in his path. There is only way to stop Thaddeus, but it means a harrowing journey for Mari and Nik into the heart of darkness. But if they hope to survive the coming fight, they have no choice but to believe in each other.
"




Before I get into my review, I would really briefly like to address the issue that people have allegedly been having with this series, apparently because they have seen racist parts in it. I am not usually someone who engages in debates like this and I like to keep myself out of them in general but I would like to say that personally, I have not read or seen anything remotely racist in this series. Yes, the characters of the Tribe and the Clan are both incredibly bigoted and racist towards one another in the beginning of the series (especially in Moon Chosen) but the entire premise of this book (which is also why it's called Tales of a New World) is set on the idea of coming together, putting aside prejudices which rest on skin color, background, etc. and build a better life elsewhere with people who are accepting and loving towards everyone. Just because the characters within a book series have racist tendencies does not mean that this is supposed to be seen as the author's personal opinion or to be seen as 'good' traits. Characters go through major character developments in books like these, and it's not always going to be the case that all character are going to be accepting (even just taking the statistics of our own world). There would be no growth on these issues (when tackling them in literature) if we would not have a starting point which is bad. And also, people can change and grow with these issues. People can ask for forgiveness and learn to be better people, and that includes book characters. 

But I would also like to say that if you personally do not want to read this series or have DNFed it because of the issues that you have been having, that is totally fine. I respect everyone's opinions and freedom on this issue. 

★ ★  ★ STARS


Spoilers ahead


Important moments


  • Dead Eye's body gets taken over by Death
  • Mari calls down Sunfire to save the Tribe
  • Sora gets chosen by Chloe
  • Thaddeus gets driven more mad until Oddyseus dies
  • Dove escapes from the People and joins the Pack
  • Mari and Nik become mates 
  • Danita becomes close with Bast, the Lynx and heals from her assault
  • Jenna, Isabel and Danita officially become Moon Women apprentices 
  • Danita channels the Moon by herself
  • The Pack decides to move and head towards the Wind Rider territory
  • Nik goes back to get the Mother Plant and gets captured by Thaddeus and saved by Mari

Damn, that was truly a brilliant, beautiful, magical book. I'm starting to think that maybe P.C. Cast has some sort of gift of writing books that never cease to disappoint me. 

This book - if even possible - was even better than Moon Chosen. It was filled with everything that I ever wanted from this series and stuff that I didn't even know I wanted. 

As always, the relationships and character developments were fabulous and amazing. The plot was absolutely intriguing, dark and mysterious as well as light, comical and heartfelt. 

What happened to Dead Eye was completely gruesome and terrifying. At first I thought Dead Eye was going to be some sort of antagonist, providing Mari and Nik trouble, but it was entirely shocking to realize that basically the great evil God of Death was behind everything. I began to feel so much for both Dead Eye and Dove and it kind of made me regret ever thinking that Dead Eye was evil through and through. I'm beyond glad that Dove managed to find sanctuary with the new Pack. 

One of the questions that I would like to have answered by the next book is why does the Great Goddess never speak to Mari? I mean, there must be some sort of reason why this is happening. It's kind of sad as well, because it seems like Mari really and truly wants to have an intimate relationship with the Goddess but it seems like there is something that is holding the Goddess back from speaking to her. I'm curious as to how that gets resolved or if that's just the way things are going to be. 

One of my favorite characters (besides Sora, of course) has become Danita. I thought it was really sweet how she and Bast became really close. I really loved the way that the Lynx seemed to be able to heal her from her traumatic experiences and I definitely hope that eventually she can completely heal from that. I'm also interested to see whether Bast will eventually choose Danita as Antreas's mate and whether she will accept him. It seems like she is definitely warming up to him, but she does have a long way to go before being complete again. 

I am super excited for book 3 (which is also I believe the last book in the series). I absolutely cannot wait to see what's going to happen. P.C. Cast has - again - crafted an absolutely phenomenal, magical, breathtaking world in which I love to read in!



0 Comments