Legend #1: Legend - Marie Lu

Legend


Goodreads Link

Author: Marie Lu


Length: 305 pages


"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills."


★ ★  ★ STARS

Spoilers!



Likes
- The differing POV and how they crossed over
- Both June and Day 
- The plot 
- Tess

Dislikes/Mehs
- Insta-love
- Your typical "we have to rebel against the government and start a revolution" principle
- Hard to tell the difference between Day's POV and June's POV sometimes

I was very pleasantly surprised by just how fast I read this book and how it sucked me in. Day and June are both characters who were incredibly interesting to read about and had their individualities which I appreciated. 

It did however feel like a very typical dystopian build up (there's a totalitarian government and a dude who's the face of it, you have to swear loyalty or die, they are hiding the evil they are doing, etc. etc.). That aside, it was incredibly interesting to see both the "insider" POV from June and the "outsider/outcast/rebel" POV from Day. I think the POV overlaps and the way they intertwined was on the things I loved most about this book.

I was incredibly shocked when Day's mother and brother both ended up dead by the end of the book. I mean, I get that a lot of characters almost never make it through dystopian novels alive, but I was really rooting for their reunion. Day's mother being shot literally a couple of seconds after finding out that her son was alive just seemed beyond cruel. 

June and Day however did feel like a very insta-lovey relationship and I think that that kind of turned me off them for a bit. They are quite sweet together, but I do feel like especially Day is making his affections for June to feel way bigger than they can be, considering they only just met, like a couple of days before the end of the book. 

And poor Ollie! I can't believe June had to leave the poor guy behind *sad face*.

I am incredibly interested to see how the story will continue in Legend, and I am also crossing my fingers that it doesn't turn into your stereotypical "good guys vs. bad guys" rebellion/revolution in the end. 




0 Comments