Mythos Academy #3: Dark Frost - Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost
Goodreads Link

Author: Jennifer Estep


Length: 336 pages


"I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.


Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life."



5 stars  ★ ★ ★ ★

This was definitely my favorite book in the series so far. I found myself laughing, crying and feeling all sorts of feelings throughout the story. To be honest, there's not much else I can say without spoiling anything since this is already book 3 in the series, however I recommend anyone to pick this series. 

Warning. Spoilers from here onwards.

So the first thing I want to talk about is that battle scene in the Coloseum Museum. That was such an intense opening to the book, and quite honestly broke my heart into tiny little pieces. I kid you not, I had tears streaming down my face when Daphne was trying to bring Carson back to life. That was just too much for me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it if one of the two of them would end up dying. 
It was also incredibly sad to see Gwen struggling with the aftermath of that battle afterwards, and see how it changed her entire view of the Reapers and what the Academy was good for (answer: quite a lot, in fact). 

I was also really sad when Daphne seemed to be turning away from Gwen throughout the book. There was one point in the book when I legitimately worried about her being the Reaper girl who killed Gwen's mother and was really relieved to find out that Daphne was feeling weird because of her powers. 

Speaking of that Reaper girl, I was happily surprised that her identity was not predictable at all. Vivian fooled us all, it seems. In fact, it actually really disappointed me that Vivian was the one on team evil, since she seemed like the kind of person with whom Gwen could have been really good friends with. 

But oh my goodness, that ending was just completely crazy. I cried like a little baby when Nott died. And I cried even harder when I found out that Nott had left Nyx behind for Gwen. 

I'm extremely excited to see where this story is going to go now that Loki is free. I wonder whether the other books are going to take place at the Academy of whether Gwen will have to travel into the Far Beyond to save the entire universe. Oh and also, I don't know whether I'm the only one but I am so calling Nickademes being Gwen's father. 


0 Comments